Contact Information

Lawton Chiles Middle School
1240 Sanctuary Drive
Oviedo, Florida 32766

Main Phone Number

Student Hours
9:20 - 3:55
Office Hours
8:00 - 4:00

Mission Statement

Lawton Chiles Middle school, a collaborative environment embracing diversity and supporting the local community, focuses on developing students to be productive lifelong learners able to compete on a global scale through self-directed learning, critical thinking, creative expression, and inquiry based study.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I enroll my child at LCMS?
We are so happy you will be part of the LCMS family. Please bring the appropriate documentation as well as fill out the attached forms before coming in to school to enroll your child. 

SCPS Registration Requirements
SCPS Student English Entry Form  SCPS Student Spanish Entry Form
Skyward Family Access Enrollment Form

I want to change one of my child’s classes. How can I get a schedule change?

Due to class size restrictions and the complexities of the master schedule, we are unable to do any more schedule changes at this time. This includes schedule changes for the second semester, as the schedule for the entire year has already been completed and fixed.


What high school will my 8th grader be attending next year?

To find out which is the zoned high school for your student, please visit the Seminole County Public Schools Zone Search page


How do I set up a conference with my child’s teacher?

To set up a parent/teacher conference, please call Mrs. Tucker (407) 871-7006 and provide the names of the persons you would like present at the conference. Parent/Teacher conferences are scheduled for Mondays or Wednesdays at 8:30 AM.


How do I get Skyward access?

To receive Skyward access please fill out the Family Access form. Please bring the completed form along with your photo ID, as we are only able to provide access to parents/guardians with custody. We will then send you your Skyward username and password.


I already received Skyward access but am having trouble logging in.

If you are unable to log in to Skyward, it might be necessary to reset your password. Please come by the front office as soon as you are able to and we will reset the password for you. Please remember to bring photo ID.


What do I do if my child is absent?

If your child is absent, please bring in a written excuse or doctor’s note within 5 days of the student's return. Please have your child turn in all absence notes to their first period teacher. Once a student accumulates 10 unexcused absences, a truancy meeting will be set up with the school social worker, so please be sure to keep track of your students’ absences and deliver excuses in a timely manner. Please make sure that your child requests any make-up work they missed from his/her teachers.


My child will be out for several days. How can I pick up his/her make up work?

Please contact the teachers to request your child’s make-up work for the days that s/he missed. Please allow teachers 24 hours to provide this for you. Make-up work can be collected at the front office.


Where does my child catch the bus?

To find your child’s bus stop, please visit the Seminole County Public Schools Bus Stop Search page or call (407) 320-7521 to contact the Routing Department.

I want my child to attend a different school. What are my options?

Please visit the Choices department website to learn more about transfer and magnet school options, requirements, and procedures


Our family is moving and my child will be attending a different school.

If your child will no longer be at Lawton Chiles Middle School, please make sure to come by the front office and withdraw him/her as well as turn in any books your child may have received from the school. You will then receive all the necessary paperwork to enroll your student at their next school.


My child is struggling in class. What can I do?

If your child is struggling, please contact the teacher as soon as possible to discuss the situation. You can contact the teacher using Skyward or phone list posted on our website. You may also want to schedule a parent/teacher conference by calling (407) 871-7027.


How do I help my child decide between standard or advanced courses?

When registering for classes for the upcoming school year, it is important to consider your child’s current grades in each subject as well as their work ethic. Students who plan to attend college should choose Advanced level classes. It is recommended that students choosing advanced level courses have earned at least a 3 on the previous school year’s Reading FSA. For those looking to go into advanced math courses, a level 3 or above on the previous Math FSA is recommended.


What are the various levels of difficulty for each course?

There are 3 levels of difficulty usually offered for the core courses: Standard, Advanced, and Gifted. The Advanced level is appropriate for motivated students who have done well in a certain subject and would like to challenge themselves. Advanced level courses should be the choice for students who score a 3 or better on FSA. These students should be willing to put in extra time for homework and studying. The Gifted level is the most challenging level and only available to students who have already been admitted into the Gifted program.


How do I fill out a free / reduced lunch application?
You may find the Meal Benefits Application here:

My child forgot his/her lunch number.

If your student does not remember his/her lunch number, the restaurant cashier can look it up for him/her once the student provides his/her name.


Our family is struggling financially and we need help. Where can we go?

The Seminole County Public Schools Families In Transition (FIT) department can help struggling families in many different areas. Please contact the FIT department by calling (407) 746-8518 or visiting the FIT website


What courses are required?

 All 6th grade students will automatically be enrolled into the following courses:

 Language Arts 1 or Advanced Language Arts 1

 Math 1, Advanced Math 1, or GEMS Math

 Earth / Space Science

 World History

 Physical Education



All 7th grade students will automatically be enrolled into the following courses:

 Language Arts 2 or Advanced Language Arts 2

 Math 2, Advanced Math 2, Algebra 1 Standard, or Algebra 1 Honors

 Life Science


 Physical Education



All 8th grade students will automatically be enrolled into the following courses:

 Language Arts 3 or Advanced Language Arts 3

 Math 3, Algebra 1 Standard, Algebra 1 Honors, or Geometry

 Physical Science or Advanced Physical Science

 US History or Advanced US History

 Physical Education



Students who scored a 1, 2 or 3 on the Reading FSA for the previous school year will automatically be enrolled in an Intensive Reading class. Students who did not take the FSA the previous school year will be administered a short reading test so that they can receive proper placement in reading if necessary. Students who scored a 1 or 2 on the Math FSA will be enrolled in an Intensive Math class. Level 3 students are placed in Intensive Math if seats are available.


When will students be registering for the upcoming school year?

The registration process for the following school year usually begins in January. It is during this month that students will begin receiving registration information and materials.


My child is being picked on. What should I do?

If you feel your child is being picked on, self advocacy is very empowering. Review the Power Behaviors included in the school planner and assist your child in finding a solution that might help solve the problem. Should your child continue to have issues with a particular child, this could be a Bullying issue and should be immediately brought to the attention of the S.A.Ms, Mr. Garrett Linquist at 407-871-7037 or via email at or John Pagnotti at 407-871-7013 or via email at If the situation is happening in a particular class, please contact the classroom teacher as well.


I’m not receiving any materials from the school in the mail.

If you have not been receiving any materials from the school, it is possible that the address and email on file is out of date. Please call the front office at (407) 871-7050 to verify that the address on file is correct. If the address is incorrect, please bring copies of 3 proofs of residence for your current address so that we can update the information in the system to ensure that you remain up to date on the latest events concerning your student.